Some background: The Joyce Estate has
prohibited or blocked various forms of artistic
Joyce worship. They are tight with the purse
string of literary rights. Here's a few examples:
Here’s an article in the Observer about the
estate's attempt to thwart a musical version
of Molly's soliloquy at the Edinburgh festival
in 2000. The Joyce Estate said, `We have read
your submission carefully and have come to the
conclusion that you propose to treat the Molly
Bloom Monologue as if it were a circus act or a
jazz element in a jam session. This was clearly
not the intention of the author. Therefore we
must refuse you permission.'
Here’s a website with several interview
excerpts with Kate Bush. The much admired
musician set a portion of Molly’s soliloquy to
music but the Joyce Estate would not give her
permission to use the words so she could not
The Joyce Estate came out strongly against the
movie Nora and Stephen James Joyce accused
film-maker Pat Murphy of permanently damaging
the reputation of his grandparents.
The most negative article I found about the Joyce
Estate is here. It tells of several restrictive
actions of the Joyce estate, including those
towards a man who wanted to translate Finnegans
Wake into Turkish:
"We read with dismay" Sweeney (Lawyer of SJJ)
wrote Erkmen, "that you are `planning to translate
Finnegan's Wake'.(sic) I know that you will be aware
that it impossible (sic) to translate Finnegan's Wake.
(sic) With the best will, the most heroic effort and
the highest ability you might produce a personal inter-
pretation in Turkish of Mr. Joyce's final masterpiece.
To suggest/promise more...would be misleading,
some might say dishonest. “
- ► 2008 (12)
- ► 2006 (12)
- ► 2005 (13)
- ► 2004 (57)
09/07 - 09/14
- When I go to Galway, one of my first stops will be...
- The Pig Iron Theater Company put on a play in Ap...
- So here's what I think about the activities of the...
- Some background: The Joyce Estate has prohibited...
- For a couple of nights now I've been going back a...
- Mondo Sismondo makes some great points on Gary H...
- Leo Tolstoy was born on this date in 1828. Tolstoy...
- I've been looking into James Joyce's descendants ...
- The James Joyce Bridge was opened this year on Jun...
- ▼ 09/07 - 09/14 (9)