So here's what I think about the activities of the
Joyce Estate. First of all, Let me say that I can
understand Stephen James Joyce wanting to
protect what for many, are the sacred words of
James Joyce. Those words are precious to many,
life changing even.
But here's the thing: As much as I think Joyce
would shake his head or roll his eyes or groan in
disgust at some of the things people want to do
with his words, I believe that he would never, ever
want to censor anyone. And that's what the Joyce
estate is doing with its actions against theatre
companies and songwriters and others, who are
just trying to celebrate James Joyce in their own
way. How could he advocate censorship or heavy
rights restrictions after having suffered so aggre-
giously from censors for so many years. And more
from the nonsense over Dubliners than the famed
case of Ulysses. No. He wouldn't do it.
And Stephen James Joyce shouldn't do it either.
- ► 2008 (12)
- ► 2006 (12)
- ► 2005 (13)
- ► 2004 (57)
09/07 - 09/14
- When I go to Galway, one of my first stops will be...
- The Pig Iron Theater Company put on a play in Ap...
- So here's what I think about the activities of the...
- Some background: The Joyce Estate has prohibited...
- For a couple of nights now I've been going back a...
- Mondo Sismondo makes some great points on Gary H...
- Leo Tolstoy was born on this date in 1828. Tolstoy...
- I've been looking into James Joyce's descendants ...
- The James Joyce Bridge was opened this year on Jun...
- ▼ 09/07 - 09/14 (9)