Leo Tolstoy was born on this date in 1828. Tolstoy
was one of Joyce's favorite writers and of Tolstoy,
"...the best authors of any period have always
been the prophets: the Tolstoys, the Dostoevskis,
the Ibsens--those who brought something new into
"Tolstoy is a magnificent writer. He is never dull,
never stupid, never tired, never pedantic, never
theatrical! He is head and shoulders over the others."
"Tolstoy is a great writer. Think of the story of the
rich man's devotion to his poor manservant --- Master
and Man. After Flaubert the best work in novel form
has been done by Tolstoy, Jacobsen and D'Annunzio."
Makes you want to reread Anna Karenina doesn’t it!
These quotes are thanks to the James Joyce Portal
where you can find more on Joyce's literary tastes.
- ► 2008 (12)
- ► 2006 (12)
- ► 2005 (13)
- ► 2004 (57)
09/07 - 09/14
- When I go to Galway, one of my first stops will be...
- The Pig Iron Theater Company put on a play in Ap...
- So here's what I think about the activities of the...
- Some background: The Joyce Estate has prohibited...
- For a couple of nights now I've been going back a...
- Mondo Sismondo makes some great points on Gary H...
- Leo Tolstoy was born on this date in 1828. Tolstoy...
- I've been looking into James Joyce's descendants ...
- The James Joyce Bridge was opened this year on Jun...
- ▼ 09/07 - 09/14 (9)