Italo Svevo aka Ettore Schmidt, met James Joyce
in 1907, when he decided he needed English lessons.
The two men became friends and Svevo helped pull
Joyce out of a serious writing slump in 1909. Years
later, Joyce was equally helpful to Svevo, reading
the two novels he had written which had gone unno-
ticed by the public. Joyce read Svevo's novels,
admired them and helped to get Confessions of Zeno
published. Svevo wasn’t able to enjoy his delayed
success for long.
From Joyce’s letter to Harriet Weaver on September
“ I have also bad news. Poor Italo Svevo was killed on
Thursday last in a motor accident. I have no details
yet only a line from his brother ... Somehow in the
case of Jews I always suspect suicide though
there was no reason in his case especially since
he came into fame...”
You can find a review of another Svevo title,
A Perfect Hoax, here.
- ► 2008 (12)
- ► 2006 (12)
- ► 2005 (13)
- ► 2004 (57)
09/21 - 09/28
- Crush Something occurred to me as I carried cle...
- Mrs. Svevo As relayed in yesterday's post, Joyc...
- Svevo Italo Svevo aka Ettore Schmidt, met James...
- A Long Day Kids to school. radio show. home for...
- Girls Lean Back Everywhere The book I ordered f...
- The Honorable Woolsey In honor of Banned Book W...
- Happy Banned Books Week! This week runs through ...
- ▼ 09/21 - 09/28 (7)