Girls Lean Back Everywhere
The book I ordered finally arrived today. “Girls
Lean Back Everywhere: The Law of Obscenity
and the Assault on Genius” by Edward de Grazia.
The title refers to a line from the case against Jane
Heap and Margaret Anderson, two American
publishers who were prosecuted in 1920 for
printing the Nausicaa Chapter (Gerty) in their
publication The Little Review.
“ Mr. Joyce was not teaching early Egyptian
perversions nor inventing new ones. Girls lean
back everywhere, showing lace and silk
stockings; wear low-cut sleeveless blouses,
breathless bathing suits; men think thoughts
and have emotions about these things every
where - seldom as delicately and imaginatively
as Mr. Bloom - and no one is corrupted.”
- ► 2008 (12)
- ► 2006 (12)
- ► 2005 (13)
- ► 2004 (57)
09/21 - 09/28
- Crush Something occurred to me as I carried cle...
- Mrs. Svevo As relayed in yesterday's post, Joyc...
- Svevo Italo Svevo aka Ettore Schmidt, met James...
- A Long Day Kids to school. radio show. home for...
- Girls Lean Back Everywhere The book I ordered f...
- The Honorable Woolsey In honor of Banned Book W...
- Happy Banned Books Week! This week runs through ...
- ▼ 09/21 - 09/28 (7)