As relayed in yesterday's post, Joyce helped Svevo
gain fame. He did the same for Svevo's wife, or at
least, for her hair. Joyce wrote to Svevo on Feb.
20, 1924 that he was making use of Signore Livia
Schmitz's name and hair for his newest heroine:
Anna Livia Purabelle. Joyce later was quoted :
"They say I have immortalized Svevo but I've also
immortalized the tresses of Signora Svevo. They
were long and reddish blond.... There is a river in
Dublin which passes dye-houses and its waters are
reddish, so I've enjoyed comparing these two things
in the book I'm writing...'
Below is the happy couple on their wedding day.
- ► 2008 (12)
- ► 2006 (12)
- ► 2005 (13)
- ► 2004 (57)
09/21 - 09/28
- Crush Something occurred to me as I carried cle...
- Mrs. Svevo As relayed in yesterday's post, Joyc...
- Svevo Italo Svevo aka Ettore Schmidt, met James...
- A Long Day Kids to school. radio show. home for...
- Girls Lean Back Everywhere The book I ordered f...
- The Honorable Woolsey In honor of Banned Book W...
- Happy Banned Books Week! This week runs through ...
- ▼ 09/21 - 09/28 (7)