Joyce the Sponger
James Joyce has been called literature's greatest
sponger. He was known for his ability to borrow money
with no intention of ever paying it back. He borrowed
from everyone: friends, enemies, students, supporters,
family (on the rare occasion that they had any money).
While I share Joyce's usual financial status (broke), I
cringe from borrowing money and usually resort to
selling books or other desperate measures. (this is
probably as good a place as any to mention that a
five dollar donation would allow me to get my last
$18.00 out of my Paypal account)
There were times when Joyce would have to use each
days earnings from teaching to pay for that night's
lodging. Nora and Georgio would sit in the park all day
until Joyce had the money in hand from that day's
student to pay the landlord for another night. Then
they'd all go to the room until the next morning when
the whole rigamarole would start up again.
When he had to go to the hospital, in severe pain with
the perforated duodenal ulcer which was to kill him, he hesitated over the necessary operation and
asked his son, "How will we pay for it?". Joyce was
rarely without money troubles .
- ► 2008 (12)
- ► 2006 (12)
- ► 2005 (13)
- ► 2004 (57)
08/31 - 09/07
- I'm having a lovely day. 84 degrees with a gentle ...
- Joyce the Sponger James Joyce has been called l...
- Page 53 of Ellman’s biography of James Joyce con...
- Well I missed my post yesterday, damn it. 17 year...
- Here’s an interesting item from the May 2003 edi...
- More on James Joyce's literary habits. I found th...
- A Joycean day . Today I purchased the last set o...
- ▼ 08/31 - 09/07 (7)