Okay - Joyce and dogs. He didn’t like them. He was
afraid of them. He was bitten or nipped by one on
his chin when he was young. Here’s what Stannie
had to say about it:
“My brothers fear of dogs and his preference for
cats dates from the time when he was badly bitten
by an excited Irish Terrier, for which he and I were
throwing stones into the sea on the beach near the
sea-bathing establishment which is, or was, in the
middle of the Esplanade.”
(My Brother’s Keeper, pg. 4)
This is as good a place as any to mention that I am
the proud owner of an Irish terrier. Stannie doesn’t
mention what sort of Irish terrier bit James but I’m
pretty sure it was not the same kind of terrier I own
which is a Glen of Imaal Terrier. Glens hail from County
Wicklow. Farm dogs. I’d guess it was a Kerry Blue
that bit Joyce. I can definitely see a Kerry Blue getting
over excited while chasing rocks in the sea.
So my dog, my Glen of Imaal Terrier was born on June
16, 2002. His name is Nosey Flynn. You can see a photo
at the bottom of the sidebar.
- ► 2008 (12)
- ► 2006 (12)
- ► 2005 (13)
- ► 2004 (57)
08/24 - 08/31
- Okay - Joyce and dogs. He didn’t like them. He was...
- A path on Howth Head and a view of the ocean. ...
- James Joyce and I have a few things in common, i...
- Just home from a busy day and have to leave for a...
- Every year on March 17th many of my good friends ...
- I recently found an article in the Guardian about ...
- I viewed the trailer for the movie Bl , . m yester...
- ▼ 08/24 - 08/31 (7)