Fireland held a sexiest sentence alive
contest and welcomed submissions. They put
together an interesting formula to judge the
sentences that was proven wrong by the
unsexiness of the winning sentence. One
person entered this Joyce sentence from
"His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow
falling faintly through the universe and faintly
falling, like the descent of their last end, upon
all the living and the dead."
A famous sentence, a beautiful sentence, but
sexy? The possibilities in Ulysses are many,
but even sticking to Dubliners one can find
sexier sentences than the Dead entry.
How about this from Araby:
" I had never spoken to her, except for
a few casual words. and yet her name
was like a summons to all my foolish
- ► 2008 (12)
- ► 2006 (12)
- ► 2005 (13)
- ► 2004 (57)
10/05 - 10/12
- I'm in a pissy-ass mood. Almost quit my job this ...
- Christian Crumlish has a well thought out articl...
- Fireland held a sexiest sentence alive contest a...
- Larry Kirwin of Black 47 has a lovely song on his...
- Election day in my state and I find my thoughts ...
- James Joyce’s Favorite Comic Strip Well, I supp...
- ▼ 10/05 - 10/12 (6)